Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Friendship

Friendship-by Emily Sturgill for K.J.

Friendship
it's strange. When we first met,
many years ago,
I never thought we would be friends.

You were too sarcastic back then,
with a big chip on your shoulder almost,
as big and tall as yourself.

I could never have any "straight" conversations with you.
One of my best-friends was at least halfways in love with you.
Which made you forbidden fruit to me,
in my minds eye.

I would never chase a guy,
my girlfriend 'liked'
you were never interested in me,
that way anyhows...

I remember how pretty your long blonde hair,
was, and how deeply devastated i felt-
the one day you suddenly showed up at
our dinky high school with it all
cut off-cut short.

If i recall right,
you did it all by yourself.
lord, only knows why,
you were just an enigma to me.

a very weird and strange guy.
you probably always knew,
i had that awful huge crush on you.

i think you were nice enough,
to not point it out, and be callous
about it or mean, although you could have
been either.

I do not know why after
all these years, I still try contacting you from time to time.
it seems somehow, even after all those years,
of being apart

a friendship of sorts
still remained.
I'm not even sure why or how that happened?
But i am very glad to have a
friend like you.

i can always count on you just to shoot from the hip,
you are not one to sugarcoat nor lie or deceive,
you say whats on your mind,
you do not aim to please

you are honest, sincere, and genuine.
it's rare these days.
I have too few friends like you.
But then again you are an original,
nobody else comes close.

That's OK i think i could only handle
knowing
one person like you, if you were cloned that would
be unfortunately
one is enough.
two would be too many.

I'm really not sure when or how
we became friends, but i am glad for it.
it is nice to have somebody i
can count on if i need a friend.

thank you,
for being you.
(cliche and stupid,
 but irregardless)
thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment